NEWS / Formartine United 4 Lossiemouth 1

Formartine United 4 Lossiemouth 1

Tuesday, February 4th, 2020

Midweek, United blew all three points available v Keith largely, it seemed, because they under-estimated the threat that a team they had trounced earlier in the season offered. The likelihhod was that they would not do so against Lossie and by and large that was the case in a game where they sprinted to a three goal interval lead with the ease of taking candy off kids. However confiscation of confectionary from juveniles tends to irk them and the young Lossie side made a much better fist of things in the second half, reduced the United flood tide and managed a consolation goal in the process.

There was no sign of the failed Keith 3-1-5-1 line up as United reverted to their regular 4-1-4-1 formation and set about taking the game to their visitors from the outset. Early pressure was created down the right by the overlap and one-two linkage of Crawford and Park. Finding limited appetite in the visitors to commit firmly to tackling them in possession they made a number of early visits to the area in and around the Lossie box each time concluding with a right to left ball across the danger area. The first of these found Lisle in the 2nd minute and the resultant shot from about 12 yards out and a bit left of centre was but narrowly wide. The next found Greig nipping in from the left flank to jink past McArthur and Flett to release a tight angled shot into the side netting. Generally United had the pace, power and trickery to dominate the Coasters right across the park.

Pressure was intense if not incessant and Lossie had limited respite between waves of attack particularly down the flanks but also more centrally from Lisle, Gethins and Rodger. In the 12th minute, Norris despite being deployed as a deep play maker, got in on the act after a partial clearance by Gordon gave him the chance for a twenty yard pop that went just over the top. Pressure continued and United's breakthrough arrived in the 18th minute. With Lossie pinned well into their own area Greig turned a couple of defenders before dinking a perfectly judged ball just beyond the left stick for LISLE to head home from close range.

Formartine sustained their waves of pressure as a twenty yard thunderbolt from Lisle from a Crawford cross after a 40 yard run down the right was touched round the post by an impressive full stretch dive by Black in the 26th minute. A Gethins header went over the top two minutes later and two minutes after that the goal of the game came from the right boot of GREIG whose 30 yard rocket powered drive left Black rooted to the spot as the ball screeched past him for goal number two.

United pressure continued and after a 40th minute sweeping attack started from the right but including both flanks, the ball was delivered by Greig from the left where RODGER muscled his way through a ruck of defenders to despatch the ball to the net for his 7th goal in 4 games.

Lossie were all but beaten by then but did all they could to turn things round after the interval. New signing Willis showed he had the appetite for the fray and breaking through the centre got past sub Lawson to tee up ELLIOT to sweep the ball home from about 12 yards.

Encouraged by this success Lossie played with visibly more confidence and thereby effect. They never really looked like damaging United who finalised their tally through the ubiquitous CRAWFORD after a break through the inside right route by Lisle yielded a ball into a crowded goalmouth that the defender forced over the line to complete a decent victory.


Formartine United: Main, Crawford,  Lawrence, Norris, McKeown, Kelly (Lawson 50), Rodger (Leyden75), Lisle, Gethins (McGowan 68), Park, Greig, Subs: Smith, Lawson, Leyden, McGowan, Anderson, Watson.

Lossiemouth: Black, MacArthur, Archibald, Gordon (Ure 59), Weir, McCauley (Leslie 75), Flett, Sewell, Elliot, Willis, Loveland. Subs: Allen, Kennedy, Ure, Bellingham, Leslie, Forbes, Stuart.